The Cook Memorial Fountain was built by the Cook family in 1968 to honour George John Cook (1881-1959) and his wife Ellen Jane McMorran (1891-1966) who are buried in the Cook family plot, section M.
George Cook was a Greek immigrant to the U.S. who visited Prince Edward County on a boat trip and liked it enough to stay. A film enthusiast, he opened the Regent Theatre in 1918. The Cooks had four daughters and one, Louise, kept the Regent open until the 1980s. She also served as Chair of the Glenwood Cemetery Board for a period.
In the fall of 2007, the fountain was refurbished through the generous support of Essroc and its partners and rededicated.
In 2009, the first columbarium was installed beside the Cook fountain and in the spring of 2010, the area was enhanced with beautiful flowerbeds and benches. In 2012, a new design was created for future columbariums and the second of four was installed in the fall of the year.
In 2015 additional landscaping was done around the newly installed columbarium to make it part of the long-term plan. This will include paving, a few steps, and a second walkway from the parking area making it accessible for people with disabilities. The vision also includes planting four trees, one on each corner of the flowerbeds.
The Cook Fountain is the centerpiece of a beautiful area where people can sit, rest, talk, have their lunch, cry, think, meditate and remember loved ones who are in the columbarium or buried elsewhere in the cemetery.